Sunday, May 6, 2012

Operation Meet Mayor

I’ve mentioned before that I am from a small town (see Small Town Blessed) where everyone knows everyone and there is such camaraderie and a sense of community between all 700 residents.

In charge of all of us residents is our mayor, Mr. Mike Fisher himself. Janitor at BHS by day, Mike began moonlighting as the mayor a few years ago and I must say he’s done a great job.

I have known Mike my entire life – he and his wife Terry live just a couple of blocks from me, his boys have always been good friends of mine, and he was a groomsman in my parents wedding.

When I was crowned Ms. Wheelchair Kansas and had the opportunity to meet Governor Brownback, Mike made a point to come into BTI and give me some grief about how I was “too good” to meet with the mayor of Bucklin. Of course, that is far from the truth and I was going to prove it! On Thursday, I donned my crown and sash and made my way down to Bucklin Schools to surprise the mayor.

He was knee-deep in the task fixing a toilet out at the football field, but made his way over to office just to speak to this concerned citizen.  I knew if I was going to get him back and be able to give him just as much grief as he had given me, I must come up with some “issues” to discuss with him. I decided on the pot holes in the street, the seismograph lines all over town, and the sidewalk in the park – but he handled them like a pro, with just a little sarcasm mixed in.


All in all I’d say my impromptu meeting with Mr. Mayor went quite well…now we’ll see if these pot holes get fixed! =)

Mayor Mike Fisher and Myself


No comments:

Post a Comment