Friday, May 18, 2012

Sweet Summertime

Today was the last day of school here in Bucklin today and I thought it would be fitting to write about my favorite season…summer. Actually fall is my favorite, but in all truthfulness I’m not picky as long as it is warm outside. I despise the cold and so therefore winter is not even considered as an option for the favorite season category.

The last day of school doesn’t have too much meaning for me now-a-days because I sit behind my desk at BTI from 8am to 6pm, Monday through Friday (occasionally ‘til noon on Saturdays), year-round. Some days I can’t help but think how nice it would be to be back in school again…not for the classes, but for the schedule and the carefree attitude.
 Oh, if I was just 18 again…

Summers as a teenager meant obviously no school, my summer job at BTI, tanning outside, and most importantly the lake. There was absolutely no better way to spend a weekend than at the lake with friends. I lived for the days we would pack up the coolers, hitch up the boat and jet skis and make our way South – so many great memories were made on that water at Coldwater Lake.


Unfortunately I do not get to spend nearly as much time at the lake as I used to, but the summers since my accident have proved to be the time where I get to travel…and who doesn’t love to travel? The first couple of years I traveled mostly for therapy reasons, going to both Houston and Detroit. I never got to explore much in Houston, but I sure did in Detroit. I absolutely loved it up there. On my off-days from therapy, Mom and I would venture out downtown or simply spend the day reading and people-watching in Campus Martius.

Last summer I got to do a bit more traveling, hitting up Vegas and Detroit in July, and taking a cruise to the Bahamas in September. Although I don’t recommend Vegas in July because of the heat, I had a blast with 5 of my closest friends and I even came back ahead in the money department!! Detroit was a quick trip, but I at least got to catch up with some friends and eat at both Supino’s (best pizza ever) and Pegasus.

In September, we “surprised” my Aunt Lois with a 3-day cruise to the Bahamas for her 50th Birthday. Six of us Vogel girls went and it was a trip to be remembered. We had a blast and I think it’s about time to start planning for Aunt Jeanne’s!  

Before March, I wasn’t quite sure how much traveling I was going to be able to do this summer, but with the outcome of the pageant, things quickly changed. Not only do I get to travel around the state, I get to go to Rhode Island in August!! Thanks to my wonderful employer,BTI, I will be making the trip to Providence on August 6-11 for Ms. Wheelchair America.

I am blessed to have been able to go the places where I have and I am grateful for all the wonderful memories, but I have it pretty good here at home too.

Jake and I catching a few rays last summer


Hope you all have a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment