Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Before the Crown and Sash

With this being my very first blog, I feel as if I should introduce myself. Most of who will be reading this probably already knows all of this, but nonetheless here I go.


My name is Emily Evans, I am 25 years old and live in Bucklin, KS - the same town where I was born and raised. I had an amazing childhood and great teenage years. I was an athletic kid growing up, even going on to play volleyball at Pratt Community College. In 2006, at the age of 19, I was on a float trip near Tahlequah, OK when I had my diving accident. It left me as a C5-C6 quadriplegic and my life instantly changed.


Throughout the past 6 years, I have been in and out of physical rehabilitation hospitals working to become stronger and more independent, but have still maintained to graduate from Fort Hays State University in 2009 with a Bachelors Degree in Human Resources Management and work a full-time job.


Now with all that being said, I must begin with how the pageant came about...


I recently bought myself a new pickup and am currently in the process of learning to drive again. In the midst of figuring out hand controls, signing papers, and everything else that buying a vehicle entails, Jay Hatfield approached me about possibly running for the title. I told him I would think about it, but as soon as I got out of the doors I said there's no way I'm doing that..I'm no "pageant girl".


For the next month or so it would creep up into my mind and therefore I started doing some research and even reaching out to Jenny, Ms. Wheelchair KS 2011. I learned it was not a beauty pageant, but yet a competition to find an articulate and accomplished woman to be a role model for the people with and without disabilities in Kansas. This was right up my alley and I thought if my story could help just one person, then it'd be worth it.


So that was it...I printed off the forms, filled them out, and sent them in! The rest is history.



No comments:

Post a Comment