Thursday, April 19, 2012

KU Basketball Has Nothing On This


Most of you all know that I am a K-State fan…Bill Snyder is awesome, I dig the color purple, and who doesn’t love Aggieville? However, I learned yesterday that I am a K-State fan with a VERY soft spot in my heart for some elementary school students from Lawrence, KS. Yesterday, while in town for a Community Resource Expo, I had the privilege to visit two groups of the Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence.

After just one missed turn and only a few blocks of backtracking, we made it to Woodlawn Elementary School where I was able to speak with the 4th and 5th grade girls in the Boys and Girls Club. They were all playing outside when I arrived so when they walked into the art room where I was waiting for them, I think they were quite surprised. Earlier in the week, I had emailed their director asking if the girls would make a list of what makes them unique. We went over their lists and talked about how our unique characteristics are often the root of insecurity. I think insecurity is something we all deal with, no matter how old we are, but it is such a hard thing to face as a young girl; especially when they are trying to fit in with their classmates and peers. The 4th and 5th grad girls at Woodlawn are absolutely amazing; they are unique in the best way and are extremely talented girls.

4th and 5th Grade Girls of the Boys & Girls Club at Woodlawn

My next stop of the day was at Quail Run Elementary where I had the privilege to speak with the entire Boys and Girls Club of Quail Run. After telling my story, we spoke about the importance of respecting both others and ourselves as well about how a positive attitude can affect your life in so many ways. 

Girls and Boys Club at Quail Run

After speaking with the whole group, I had the chance to speak to the 4th and 5th grade girls by themselves. Like with the girls at Woodlawn, I spoke on how we are all unique. I think that if we know our differences, insecurities, and what makes us vulnerable gives us the upper hand you know how to handle adversity and any negative comments. The entire Girls and Boys Club group at Quail Run were great and the 4th and 5th grade girls were wonderful. They listened intently and had some really good questions.

4th and 5th Grade Girls of the Boys & Girls Club at Quail Run

After my speaking engagement at Quail Run, we made our way over to the Free State High School where the Community Resource Expo of Douglas County was being held. I spent most of the Expo cruising up and down the aisles visiting other booths and with all the people. There were a lot of booths and a lot of great information.

Ms. Wheelchair Kansas Booth at the Community Resource Expo of Douglas County

We arrived back in Bucklin around 11pm and I was exhausted, but I would not have it any other way. It was an amazing day and I enjoyed everything about it – especially all the kids in The Boys and Girls Club! Hopefully I’ll be able to make it back to see them soon!  

1 comment:

  1. You're such a good role model for those kids!! What a blessing to have YOU encouraging us all!

    ReplyDelete