Monday, August 6, 2012

First day of pageant week…check!


It was a pretty relaxed and low-key day. Most of the other contestants arrived today so our main tasks were to get registered this afternoon and then we had orientation this evening.

There are 27 other ladies competing for the title of Ms. Wheelchair America 2013 and let me tell you they are amazing! I haven’t been able to talk with all of them quite yet, but I am getting pretty good at knowing everyone’s name, or state at least!

Ms. Wheelchair Illinois and myself
As we got seated for dinner and orientation, we had the opportunity to meet with Angel Taveras, the Mayor of Providence, who welcomed us to the state of Rhode Island, and especially Providence.

The Mayor and I
After supper, introductions were made and orientation began. Josie Badger, Ms. Wheelchair America 2012, spoke a few words of encouragement and it was then that it hit me how big of a week this would be and what could be the results!

Orientation was pretty straightforward – we talked about all the details for the week, judging sessions, and all of the other things that will be taking place.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy one! We are having a mentoring event in the morning, a workshop in the afternoon, and a clambake in evening! I’m looking forward to what tomorrow will hold for me, but I can’t hold back my excitement…I can’t wait to get my hands (or fork really) on some clams!!


Oh, I must send a HUGE thank you to everyone at BTI.  Not only have they sponsored all of my travels as Ms. Wheelchair Kansas, but when I returned to my room from lunch this afternoon, I had an amazing fruit bouquet waiting for me! It not only looks pretty, but it tastes amazing!! 


1 comment: