Friday, August 10, 2012

Phew!

Thank goodness – the speeches are over! It was a fairly nerve-wracking day…we had a trade show in the morning, a few workshops this afternoon, and of course the speeches this evening.

Before I tell you about tonight, I’ll share Thursday’s activities!  It was another day full of workshops, and let me tell you, we had some great workshops! However, the big event yesterday was the pajama party. I know what you’re thinking…why in the world would grown women be having a pajama party? Well because they wanted to, but it wasn’t just any regular pajama party…there was a DJ, 10 or so stylists to do hair and nails, a massage booth, and last but not least…we had Stacey Schieffelin! Stacey is formerly a Ford Agency model, but now is the founder and creator of YBF Cosmetics. Her products are all over HSN and she is all about women empowerment!

Pajama Party Group
Carrie, my State Coordinator. and I
After getting my nails done, my eyebrows penciled in by Stacey, and a quick massage, I hit the hay a bit earlier than everyone who danced the night away!

Stacey and I
Now onto today! Like I said earlier, we had workshops and a trade show, but the big event was the speeches! We all gathered a little before 5pm to head down to the ballroom for supper and the speech presentation. I was a ball of nerves, but as soon as we got downstairs and began eating, I became much more at ease. (Must have been all that Evans charm at our table!) After dessert and coffee, the speeches began in reverse alphabetical order. Amy Bleile, Ms. Wheelchair Wisconsin, was up first and this meant I was about halfway through!

After numerous speeches, I got called to line up and the nerves began to flutter a bit! Heidi McKenzie, Ms. Wheelchair Kentucky, put me in my place, made a few jokes, and then we were ready to roll!

On Stage
When Kentucky finished, I took a deep breathe and made my way onto the stage where I began my platform speech, “Empowering Youth to Define Themselves”. Despite the bright lights and the worry about time, I made my presentation without hesitation and to be honest and a little selfish, I was pretty proud of myself.

The Evans Table
The numbers from our judging sessions and tonight’s sessions will be tallied tonight. The top five scores will be announced tomorrow during the Crowning Ceremony at 4pm. The top five will then receive two onstage questions and after adding those scores to the previously tallied ones, Ms. Wheelchair America 2013 will be named.

This week has flown by and no matter what the results are for tomorrow, I am so glad I had the chance to participate and meet all these amazing women. It has definitely been a week of a lifetime!

Mom and Dad
Once again, I have to thank you all for the continued love and support throughout this journey. It means the world to me and I am truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment