Saturday, May 19, 2012

Challenge

I had an opportunity to visit and volunteer at the Challenge Games today in Derby, KS. It was a day full of fun, sun, and LOTS of wind. The Challenge Games is an annual athletic competition for people with physical disabilities which is held at Panther Stadium. This meet is sanctioned by Wheelchair and Ambulatory Sports, USA.


Jenny, the former Ms. Wheelchair Kansas, had passed on an email awhile back regarding the Games and I knew instantly I wanted to participate. I was never a huge track and field person in high school (however I did participate), but anything sports-related is right up my alley!


When I arrived, I was surprised to see how many teams and athletes that were ready to compete. This was my first time at the Challenge Games and I really had no clue what to expect! The running events took place in the morning and the field events were in the afternoon; because I arrived about 11:00am I was only to see the last few running events, but I did have the opportunity to help with the both the javelin and club throw in the afternoon along with four other volunteers.


The atmosphere at the Games is incredible - it is so positive and uplifting and in between heats, I got to speak with the athletes, family members, and other volunteers. I absolutely loved hearing all of their stories and being able to share mine as well. 


The athletes and participants of the Challenge Games were amazing; they did a great job! I loved seeing the competitiveness of the older athletes and the ear-to-ear smiles from the smaller kids after they threw their best throw. I think a lot of PR’s were set today and I couldn’t be more proud of all the participants!


I had a great time today…even got me a little sun…and I can’t wait to help out again next year!

**I must also send a HUGE thank you to my cousin Jill for bearing the heat and wind and helping me out today at the Games!! I truly appreciate you coming out!***

No comments:

Post a Comment