Sunday, May 27, 2012

125 and Counting


There is something in the air around Bucklin this weekend and no, I’m not talking about the dirt this wind is blowing around. There is a profound sense of history and celebration going around this town and the reason for all of this – it is Bucklin’s 125th Anniversary, not mention the 100th Anniversary of Bucklin High School.

I don’t know about you, but that is more than enough reason to celebrate for me! To do so, the community of Bucklin has put together three full days of activities which included a car and motorcycle show, fireworks, bike races and various activities for the kids, a parade, the golf tournament, a concert, the 5K run, a 3-on-3 basketball tournament, the All School Alumni Reunion, and much, much more.

Throughout the years I have been in numerous Veteran’s Day parades, dressing up and riding my bike as a child and marching with the band in high school, but yesterday I was able to represent both my hometown and the Ms. Wheelchair Kansas organization in the Memorial Day parade by riding in Mr. Jules Constantin’s 1981 Mercedes.


This year’s parade was probably one of the largest parades that I can remember. There were numerous floats, cars, kids, etc. and Main Street was completely lined with spectators.

I had a great time waving and saying “hi” to everyone during the parade, but I really enjoyed getting to spend some time chatting with Jules. Jules is Bucklin High School’s shop teacher and a dear friend. He has the biggest heart and when I asked him to “scoot me around,” he happily agreed. Until yesterday, I never had known that he served in the Navy where his favorite part was his time in the submarine division or the story how he met his wife Mary Jane. It was a lot of fun hearing these stories and being able to ride with him – maybe next time he’ll take me for a ride in the Jag! =)


Despite the horrific wind, I enjoyed the parade immensely, as well as all of the other activities. I’ve said it numerous times before, but I’m going to say it again – I feel so incredibly blessed that I am from Bucklin. It truly is a great community. 
Here’s to another 125!






No comments:

Post a Comment