Sunday, July 14, 2013

Time Flies When You're Having Fun

Another week down and time is flying by entirely way too fast! I can’t even tell you how much my heart sank today when I received an email from our apartment complex with departure instructions…I don’t want to leave, I’m not ready! We’ve got 19 days left and you better believe that I plan to make the most of each and every one of them!
 
Every week we have been up here has been pretty awesome, but this past one was one notch above the rest…I might even go out on a limb and call it phenomenal. In therapy, we continue to work on the same target areas which I have mentioned in my previous posts and I still think I am improving more each day. I just feel stronger. Speaking of strong, listen to this news…I lifted my butt up off the mat this week! This is HUGE (and no, I’m not talking about the size of my behind). Never before did I have the balance or the strength to off-weight myself like this and it is a huge step in the right direction for transferring independently.  


 
It’s no doubt that I miss home – my family, work, and friends...but it is improvements like this and other little things that make me wish I could just pack my bags and move to Michigan. It makes me wonder what I could have if I were able to stay for a long period of time. If I ever win the lotto, you can bet that I will become a snowbird – I’ll be in Michigan from the Spring to the Fall and back to Kansas for the winter!
 


Nonetheless, we had a pretty eventful week on the entertainment front… and it mostly consisted of baseball. We made it to three games this week: Thursday afternoon against the White Sox, Friday night against the Rangers, and this afternoon again against the Rangers. A little much? I think not. Although the Tigers lost against the Sox, that game was probably the most eventful. There was a small brawl that got both Putkonen and Leyland ejected from the game. Friday’s game was great – I have to send a special Thank You shout out to Shannon and Greg for the tickets! We had a good time watching the Tigers claim a 7-2 win and the beautiful fireworks after the game! Today’s game was also awesome. Verlander pitched a no hitcher up to the 7th inning and we got some great hits in. It was a quick game, but fun, nonetheless.






On top of three great days at the ballpark, the President of RIM, Dr. Bill Restum, presented Mom and me with one AMAZING gift…suite tickets to the Jimmy Buffett concert next week! Earlier this week I ran into Bill in the hallway and he was making sure we took in the sights and scenes while we are here which brought up the concert. Before I knew it, he left with telling me he was going to make some calls. The rest is history!
 


Once again, we started the week off right…this time in Grosse Ile Township. Shannon and Greg invited us to their church this morning as they were hosting an outdoor service at their house. With the Detroit River in the background, we sat and partook in a beautiful church service. It was picturesque. Following the service, was brunch, and we couldn’t have joined a more friendly and welcoming group. It was a great day of fellowship!

 





Hope you all have a great week and stayed tuned next weekend for the next update! I also ask that you keep my coworker, Tim Milford, and his family in your prayers. He was involved in a catastrophic accident yesterday that has left him paralyzed from the chest down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment