Sunday, July 28, 2013

Dragging My Feet

“But I don’t want to go!” That phrase is often heard in our household when Jason & Heather come to pick up their kiddos after a day of playing and I can’t help myself, but I want to yell the same thing now as I head into my last four days of therapy…my last four days in Detroit. I’m just not ready to go home.

Once again we had a great week - therapy was good as always and as we head into the home stretch, I need to not only continue to focus on the tasks at hand, but also how to incorporate some of what I have been doing here into what I do at home. If only I could kidnap one of my trainers and take them with me! Just kidding...kind of.


This past week Mom and I actually ventured out of our normal area and headed north a little bit. On Wednesday, we made a trip to Warren to visit my Great Aunt Ruth and on Thursday, we went to the Holocaust Museum in Farmington Hills.
 

Aunt Ruth is my Grandma Bea’s younger sister and boy, can you tell it! We spent about two hours sitting around her kitchen table talking. When Aunt Ruth pulled out the cookie dough to make chocolate chip cookies and put them in the oven, I was immediately reminded of sitting around Grandma Bea’s table. Grandma and I always had our discussions over hot tea and chocolate chip cookies and it just made me feel at home with Aunt Ruth. It was a great afternoon trip and the only thing that would have made it better was if Grandma Bea would have been there as well.

 

Thursday’s trip was to the Holocaust Museum was a little bit more somber. I have studied the Holocaust quite a bit and although this may be somewhat morbid, I am fascinated by it. I think my fascination lies in the fact that I don’t understand it – I don’t understand that level of hatred and how one person can have so much power to cause such hurt and devastation. The museum was extremely interesting as it covered Jewish culture, WWII, the reign of Hitler, and the mistreatment of the Jews. They had numerous videos of Holocaust survivors telling not only their personal stories, but what life was like in a concentration camp and on the death marches. I don’t know how to describe it other than sad…and sickening. It is something I will never fully grasp.
 


It was Mom’s birthday on Friday so after therapy we walked down to the Hudson Café, ate a late lunch, then continued onto Campus Martius where a bunch of vendors has set up shop for the weekend. We browsed quite a bit, but nothing caught our eye enough to buy!
 


Also in celebration of Mom’s birthday, we went to the Tigers game on Saturday evening! After a one hour rain delay, the game began and the Tigers took no mercy on the Phillies. At the end of the 1st inning, we were up 5-0. Tigers ended the game 10-0 and despite the colder weather and burning my tongue on my hot chocolate, I would say the evening was a success!




This week will be a short one here in the D as I have moved my Friday therapy session to Thursday and as soon as I am dismissed, we are hitting the highway. In the meantime though, they’re moving right along with the Transformers 4 set and will start to film this week…maybe I can become an extra and will have to stay!
a

No comments:

Post a Comment