Friday, December 7, 2012

Inner Geek


My Christmas present has arrived early…I got me some new spectacles! I absolutely love them, but it has honestly taken me one whole day to be able to look in the mirror and not laugh at myself. They are not my normal frames that I go for, but perhaps a bit retro. It totally brings out my inner geek which leads me to this blog post.
Me and My New Specs
My “geeky” side of me absolutely loves to read and so I thought, why not give you seven of my most favorite books of all time! 
(I had ten listed at first, but it was going to be the longest post ever, so seven it is!)

Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II’s Greatest Rescue Mission 
by Hampton Sides
 After hearing my talks of a Vietnam era novel, my neighbor Larry brought me over this book and suggested I read it. He told me it is a monumental book that tells the story of the Bataan Death March. Eager to read it, I began and couldn’t put it down.  Hampton Sides does a phenomenal job recreating the atmosphere and intimate details of the prisoners and how they survived in a Japanese POW camp when every odd was against them – starvation, tropical diseases, and torture. This book fueled my ever-growing interest WWII and our country’s history.

Unbroken 
by Laura Hildebrand
This is another page turning, can’t put it down type of books…and yes it’s anther survival story from WWII. Louie Zamperini's dream of running in his second Summer Olympics was derailed the moment he B-24 went down and crashed into the Pacific. After a torturous, yet remarkable and record-breaking 47 days at sea, he was rescued by the Japanese. For the next two years until the island where he stayed was liberated, he was beat and tortured, but managed to somehow stay alive. This book details his entire journey from his childhood, to war, and life after. It is an amazing read filled with so much courage and resilience. I would recommend this one to everyone!

To Kill a Mockingbird
by Harper Lee
I first read this book in high school, but have come back to it numerous times in the past couple of years. It is a classic and although written in the 1960s, it is still relatable in today’s times. The advice Atticus gives to Scout and Jem is both heartwarming and enlightening and the whole book makes a person think about what is truly important in life. If you haven’t read it, read it now because you’re definitely missing out!

Angela’s Ashes: A Memoir 
by Frank McCourt
Angela’s Ashes tells the harrowing story of Frank McCourt’s adolescence – one of which is full of heartbreak. Growing up in poverty, losing his three siblings, and dealing with his alcoholic father, McCourt experienced it all, but somehow overcame it.  The book is so eloquently written and should be a must on everyone’s list!

The Sun Also Rises 
by Ernest Hemingway
Another classic! I read this book a couple of summers ago and was hooked by the ease of Hemingway’s words and a storyline of undetermined love and loyalty between Jake and Lady Brett, but you can’t forget how much drunkenness, debauchery, and travel is emitted throughout the story. What was wrote in the mid 1920’s could easily be pulled from real life 2012 – that’s what makes this a classic, it stands the test of time!

Eyewitness Auschwitz: Three Years in the Gas Chamber
by Filip Muller
I just finished this book in October and I must admit, it took me awhile to read it, which is so uncharacteristic of me regarding a book that I love. Filip Muller was a Jew who ended up working in the gas chambers of Auschwitz and graciously lived to tell his story and the horrors of the concentration camp and disposing the bodies of his own people. It is one of the most eye-opening books I have ever read and truly paints a picture of what happened during the Holocaust.

My Horizontal Life
by Chelsea Handler
I absolutely love Chelsea Handler. She is amazingly funny and I rarely miss an episode of Chelsea Lately! So, as I was browsing Amazon one day a few years ago and saw this gem, I couldn’t resist. I do not recommend it for all because well, it is a bit raunchy, and tells numerous tales of Chelsea’s nightly escapades, but if you’re 18 and older and looking for a quick, easy, and hilarious read, this is your book! 

---

You might see a trend through these titles…most are true stories...most are stories of resilience and overcoming something major…most of these books makes me truly grateful for my life…and most of these show that no matter how hard you think you have it, someone has it or has had it much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment