Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Lemon Lights


I don’t know about you, but Christmas is one of my favorite holidays! It is a time for traditions, spending time with loved ones, celebrating the birth of Jesus, and gift giving...not particularly in that order. I love everything about Christmas…actually no, I must take that back – I love everything about Christmas, except Christmas music! (especially when they begin playing it before Thanksgiving)

Nonetheless, I’m here to talk about traditions – it is tradition for the Evans family to go to Christmas Eve service at the Presbyterian Church in Kingsdown; it is tradition for the Vogels to celebrate the holiday in January; and it is tradition for Jessica and I to go to Pratt to see the Lemon Park Lights.

  
Looking at Christmas lights is one of my favorite activities during the Christmas season and Lemon Park in Pratt is the place to go in Southwest Kansas to see lights. Numerous volunteers in the city of Pratt set up over 150 light displays throughout Lemon Park each year – they range from a dragon looking over a small pond, gingerbread houses, lots of reindeer, lighted arches, and so much more.


I have known Jessica my entire life and she is one of my best friends in the whole wide world. We share so much in common and that includes our love of Christmas lights, so each year we jump in the car and travel the 50 miles to Pratt to check out the lights! We first make a beeline to Sonic to grab some supper and then head over to the park. We always make at least two trips through the park to make sure we see everything and to try to find the new light display, as they add a new one every year!


We end our trip by cruising around Pratt and Bucklin looking at the lights and checking out all of the decorations. It is one night I look forward to every year and this year was no different – Jess and I had a blast!


Although our annual tradition of light looking has taken place for this year; it doesn’t mean that you can’t start your own and remember, look no further than the “Lemon Lights” in Pratt, KS (as Karlee calls it). 

No comments:

Post a Comment