Thursday, December 20, 2012

Consequences


As my mom and I were driving to Dodge this afternoon we were discussing some policies that are in the school handbook. During this conversation she made the statement, “You just can’t make a kid do something if they don’t want to.” I was immediately appalled and quickly thought back to my childhood.

Like most children, when I grew up, my parents taught me right from wrong and that with certain actions come certain consequences. If I disobeyed the rules or didn’t do what I was told, I faced punishment of some kind and to go along with that punishment, came the fear of God. That fear gave me much more respect – respect for my parents, my elders, my teachers and coaches, respect for authorities…So when my mom made this statement this afternoon, I thought to myself have the kids lost that respect and do they not face punishment anymore? Have things really changed that much in a few years? (Okay, maybe more than a few years…I am pushing closer to 30 than 20 now-a-days.)

As I continue to read and try to process the tragedy that took place last week in Newtown – I can’t help but think about repercussions. Adam Lanza committed a horrific and selfish act last week and he will never be able to face the consequences of what he did. He will never see the devastation he caused and how he ruined the lives of so many families…including his own.

I don’t understand how one person could do that. However what I do know is that we need to reinforce that “fear of God” and we need to demand respect for authority. We must teach our youth to take responsibility for their thoughts, words, and actions.

All generations in life probably look to the one after them at some point and say, “it’s just not the same as when we were young.” I can now say that I officially think like this...does this make me old?

No comments:

Post a Comment