Wednesday, April 3, 2013

When I Grow Up

When I was a little girl, my aspirations ranged….I wanted to be a professional ice skater like Michelle Kwan, a famous singer like Trisha Yearwood, an Olympic gymnast like Shannon Miller, and a chef like Julia Child. However, it didn’t take me long to figure out that ice skating was out of the picture – I could only practice when the pond froze over in the winter…I definitely can’t carry a tune very well, and I was entirely too tall to become a gymnast. As far as cooking goes, I love it, but I am definitely no Julia Child.

 I took Accounting Basics as a freshman in high school and instantly fell in love - using spreadsheets, balancing accounts, and crunching numbers – I loved the challenge and was completely satisfied when I had my balances and budgets aligned. However, it wasn’t until I began working at BTI my sophomore year of high school, that I knew this was what I wanted to do when I grew up.

 It was decided…after high school I would play volleyball and study accounting at Pratt Community College and then transfer to Fort Hays State University. I was ready to take on the world and let me tell you I had big plans. After graduating from FHSU and becoming a CPA, I saw myself walking into a tall, glass building…briefcase in hand…somewhere in the big city. After 10 or so years of that, I would move somewhere smaller and teach business and accounting classes at a junior college.

Those plans obviously changed late in the year of 2006, but I knew where I belonged…back at BTI. Truthfully, I hadn’t been gone too terribly long because I had been working at our Greensburg location when I had my accident, but in May 2007, I rejoined my colleagues at BTI and have never looked back sense.

 This July, I will hit my ten-year mark and I cannot believe it! I absolutely love my job and took on the position as HR Coordinator after I received my degree in 2009. This allows me to facilitate employee orientation and do various things such as assist in recruiting. When my HR cap isn’t on, I work alongside my mentor, Vivian, and assist her in various bookkeeping tasks.

 Now-a-days, I can’t picture myself anywhere else…there is no need for the city, a tall, glass building or a classroom full of students. I am more than content crunching numbers behind my desk in small town Bucklin, KS. Because it is here I have work that is challenging, yet fun…coworkers that have become great friends and known me better than I know myself some days…and an employer who supports me in all that I do.

 Although my ice skating or singing career never panned out, I feel as if I’m a pretty lucky girl…I love where I am and love what I do. Now, I don’t know about you, but happy is all I want to be when I grow up…and I can definitely say that I’m on the right path!

No comments:

Post a Comment