Saturday, June 9, 2012

Laps


Tomorrow morning I will be participating in Ability Quest, a 2-mile run/1-mile walk that is dedicated to help the patients and program participants of the Rehabilitation Institute of Kansas City (RIKC) celebrate milestones in their lives. All proceeds from the event go back to RIKC, helping fund medical rehabilitation and employment services for children and adults who have had a serious illness or injury.

As I have been telling my friends and family about this event, I have been asked, “you think you can push a mile?”  Do I look that weak or what?  Of course I think I can push a mile! Nonetheless, I made my way down to the track a few times recently to “train” and work on my endurance and truthfully, I thought I did a pretty decent job. Now, I may not be as fast as the Price girls, but hey I think I can hold my own…we’ll see tomorrow anyway!

While training at the track, my mind reverted back to my therapy sessions in Detroit. In the midst of the medical complex, there was a little park called Brush Mall with a lot of trees and pathways that connected all of the hospitals. At least once a week, my therapist Chris would take me out there to push – building up strength and endurance. 

Brush Mall (1)
Brush Mall (2)
Chris would always time my laps, which of course made me push even harder – I wanted a PR every time we went out. It didn’t always happen, but I can say that overall I cut down my time dramatically. I always enjoyed the days we would go outside and thinking about it makes me realize how much I miss Detroit and the Center for Spinal Cord Injury Recovery.

Brush Mall (3)
Brush Mall (4)
I haven’t made it back to Detroit for two summers now, but I hope that my training and performance tomorrow will still make Chris proud. No matter what my time is though, I can’t think of a better cause to push for – I’m definitely looking forward to Ability Quest!

Chris and I working out
Stay tuned for all the details of tomorrow - I'll write as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment