Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hot Flashes

Ever since my accident, I am cold about 95% of the time. Very rarely am I hot and the concept of me sweating is practically extinct. Due to my spinal cord injury, I cannot control my body temperature like most people…which means little to no sweating. However on the rare occasion that I do sweat – it is only on the left side of my head and shoulder…not my armpit, not my legs, nothing on my right side, just the left side of my head and shoulder.

This morning was one of those rare occasions - as soon as I got situated at my desk, I got hot and I began sweating. I looked around to make sure my feet weren’t pinched up against something or anything else that could possibly cause discomfort (another cause of sweating), but much to my dismay, I couldn’t find anything.

I turned off my heater right away, thinking that was the problem, but not too long after I did so I felt a chill roll up my right arm and the goosebumps appeared. How can this be? I am literally hot and sweating on one side of my body and am cold and have goosebumps on the other. The only conclusion I can come to is that it's inexplainable - our bodies do some weird things!

Finally after about an hour or so of having the heater on my right side and wiping the sweat off my left brow, I have returned to my normal temperature of being semi-cold with no sweats involved.

If I’m experiencing these flashes already at the age of 25, I don’t want think about what 40 might bring me!

No comments:

Post a Comment