Sunday, June 10, 2012

Ability Quest


I’m not really a morning person, especially when it comes to the weekend…just ask my mother. I am usually a bit grumpy until I shower and get a cup of coffee in my system. However, today was different. I woke up early and was ready to get going even without coffee…who knew it was possible?

I was ready to rock’n’roll this morning, all because Ability Quest. Like I mentioned in yesterday’s blog, Ability Quest is a 2-mile run/1-mile walk that is dedicated to help the patients and program participants of the Rehabilitation Institute of Kansas City (RIKC) celebrate milestones in their lives. All proceeds from the event go back to RIKC, helping fund medical rehabilitation and employment services for children and adults who have had a serious illness or injury.


For those of you who know me, my therapy and rehabilitation has been a huge part of the last six years of my life. I would not be where I am in life, doing what I do, without my physical and occupational therapy.  Today I had the opportunity to share a little bit about my rehab experiences over the past few years and tell how important I think PT and OT are.


The event took place at the Berkley Riverfront Park in downtown Kansas City and after we jammed to some great tunes provided by the DJ and I addressed the crowd, the run was ready to begin. The 2 milers started out first, followed by us 1-mile walkers. I have to admit, I did not push the entire mile, but I was too busy catching up with my good friends Ashley and Brodie, who joined me in supporting such a great cause.


I didn’t catch our time when we crossed the finish line, but that was just fine for me. We received some beads and a little trophy and then we were able to mingle a little bit with some of the other participants and get a few pictures.




I had an amazing time today, both participating and speaking at the event, but on top of that I really enjoyed getting to know about the Rehabilitation Institute of Kansas City. It sounds like a great facility and I cannot wait to check it out!

I must send a huge thank you to Ashley, Brodie, and my Aunt Nancy who came out to participate and help support RIKC. I really appreciate it and was surprised to see you guys bright and early this morning!!

Aunt Nancy and myself
Ashley, Brodie, and I
     Oh, also, on our way home we stopped by the mall in Wichita to look for a gown for Nationals…let me say that however many feet in the mile I missed this morning, I made up    
                               for this afternoon strolling from store to store!

No comments:

Post a Comment