Sunday, February 10, 2013

Awanas


At the beginning of January, I was in search of some MWKS appearances so I took it to Facebook, asking if anyone was in need of a public speaker or someone to look pretty in a crown at their event. To my surprise, I got quite a few responses and when I heard from Lori asking about Awanas, I was more than excited!

I have had the pleasure of speaking with the Awana’s Club a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it! Growing up Catholic, I never learned to quote a lot of scripture nor did I readily know as many bible stories as some of my friends, and so when I first went to Awanas, I was blown away. At each closing, a few names get drawn out of a hat, and those kids get up in front of their peers and quote a verse they learned that night or list books of the Bible.


This year was no different, the kids were still amazing and they still blew me out of the water. Thankful to Miss Betty and all of the volunteers who put on and help with Awanas, I had the chance to speak to each of the age groups – the Cubbies, Sparks, and T&T.

Most of the kids know who I am, or at least the fact that I’m Karlee’s aunt, so instead of my normal introduction of myself and how I was injured – I began my presentations with the verse 1 Peter 3:3-4, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.”


My whole platform for MS. Wheelchair Kansas is defining who you are, not letting other people or any situation do it for you. This includes being judged and defined by what brand of clothes we wear, the type of shoes we have on, our hairstyles, body type, etc. What is important to God and what should be important to you, is what is inside – your thoughts, actions, love, morals and values. We should not be judged or judge others by the materialist things in life because life is about so much more.

Before opening the floor up for questions during each session, I reiterated my point that in the end when we are standing at the pearly gates of heaven, God will not let you in based on what type of boots you are wearing, but what is in your heart and how you have treated yourself and others during your lifetime.


I hope that the kids really got the message and learned that it was definitely their responsibility to define themselves. I’m a bit skeptical with the Cubbies, who are the preschoolers, once I mentioned boots at the end – all I got heard was, “William has boots on…I have boots on…he has boots on…look at my snow boots!” Nonetheless, Karlee  reassured me I did a great job!

I have to thank Miss Betty and all of the Awana volunteers who work together to help develop spiritually strong children who are not only disciplined in church and their faith, but in their communities as well. I can’t wait to go back!


No comments:

Post a Comment