Saturday, September 22, 2012

Hot Date in Manhattan


Last Friday I had a date with an amazing man…a man that both women and men swoon over, a man who has made history, and a man whose values and principles mean the world to him. 
This man was Bill Snyder.


I am almost 100% certain that everyone who reads this knows who Bill Snyder is, but if you don’t, please Google him now. He is one of the greatest football coaches of all time and thanks to Tamren Sturges, I had the opportunity to meet with him.


The receptionist announced my arrival and showed me in the right direction and as I was making my way down the hallway decorated with all-star jerseys, Coach Snyder stepped out in the hall, cup of coffee in his hand, and gave me a huge smile. We shook hands and headed into his office where we proceeded to chit-chat for 20 minutes or so.


You might be thinking…what does a person talking about with Bill Snyder…but the conversation just flowed. We talked about alma maters and careers, football and volleyball, family and friends, and small town life. After asking my dad what he did, Bill reminisced a little bit about his first teaching/coaching position in a very rural, farming community in Missouri. He taught Spanish, coached three sports, and drove the school bus – all for a measly salary…however he thought he was making the big bucks!

Coach Snyder is one of the most down-to-earth, kind, and caring men I have ever met.


As our “date” came to an end, he gave me a jersey and wished me luck for all that I do. I returned the well wishes and said good luck against North Texas tomorrow and definitely against OU next week. He replied, “Thank you, but we have to take one game at a time…we must not overlook anyone.”


I am most grateful for the opportunity to have been able to meet such an amazing man and spend the weekend with Tamren and the entire Kirk/Hood family. It was definitely a weekend I will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment